Sunday, August 18, 2024

SEARCH for AUTHENTICITY

JESUS prays to GOD

John 17:16-17

King James Version

16 They are not of the world, 

even as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: 

thy word is truth.


It is good to remain independent of the world.

To not be caught up in the things of the world.

To not accept man's word as gospel.

To not be beholden to trends, or trendsetters.

To remain faithful to the conscience in you.

To remain vigilant that you do not fall into wrong ways.

To not "do, as the Romans do".

All these, I kept close to my heart.

Even when I was not yet born again before.

Making sure the world was not in me.

Even as I was in the world.


Somehow, "something" guided me.

Was it conscience?

Was it GOD?

Was it belief, in something real?

I didn't know it then.

I just knew I was ALWAYS searching for AUTHENTICITY.

For something I can really believe in.

For absolute truth I can latch on to.

For something "definite".

I could never live a fake existence.

Everything had to be true, and real, for me.


And I'm glad I held on.

No matter what the world presented.

No matter its many seductions.

With all its ads, glitter, and false promises.

I simply could not succumb.


Neither was I envious of those who lived a high life.

I could never imagine myself living such a life.

It felt like a lie.

While many were in poverty, I simply can't.


Face, fame, fortune failed to entice me.

Personal ambition failed to seduce me.

I was always weighing the "costs".

At what cost, success?

At what cost, fame?

At what cost, fortune?

Can you turn your back on who you are?

To become who you wanted to be?


I always knew it would cost something.

Things of the world were temporary.

It was dangerous getting caught up in it.

And self was all I've got then.

I could never follow blindly.

I had too many questions of my own.


"Something" always offered a healthy dose of perspective.

Saving me from neuroses, ambition, and desire for competition.

You may look good, but someone else will always look better.

You may be famous, but someone else will always be more famous.

You may be rich, but someone else will always be richer.

Those things held things in check for me.

They gave me the proper perspective.

It was a good set of brakes to have.


I had no idea those "brakes" were the SPIRIT of GOD.

Who looked upon the children of men.

To see who cared to look deeper.

To see who cared to look beyond self.

To see who cared to endure all forms of temptation.

And turn their backs on such enticements.

While searching for something true, real, and lasting.

Psalm 14:2 

King James Version

2 The Lord looked down from heaven 

upon the children of men, 

to see if there were any that did understand, 

and seek God.


Surely, GOD knew how I was searching for Him, for the longest time.

Surely, He knew how I could never conform to the world.

Surely, He knew how I tried to figure out self.

Thus, this blog you're reading now.

We became archaeologist of the soul.

With the premise being, if I am to figure out the world, I must figure out self -- first.

It's all about authenticity.

Being true.

Being real.

Being me.


Who was I?

What was I made of?

Where am I going?

What is the path to take?

Who offers real truth?

What can I really believe in?

What is my purpose on earth?

What work should I be doing?

What should I be focusing on?

Who can I trust?

Whose words held "weight"?

On, and on, the questions grew.


GOD knew I was tenacious, but never tentative.

He knew I was persistent, but never a pest.

He knew I was faithful to self, but never obsessed with self.

He knew I was trying to figure things out on my own.

He knew I was childlike with Him, but always respectful.

He knew I'd come around, when He makes me born again.

He knew I would embrace SPIRIT, Who will teach me ALL things.


There was no way I could figure things out on my own.

My ONLY success was in NOT selling out to the world.

Not for any price.

Not for any cost.

Not at the cost of my soul.

Of course, life became a struggle, because I wouldn't give in.

My late father taught me well.

He lived, what he taught.

What a legacy!


That's what GOD looks for.

A certain faithfulness to truth.

No matter if you're not aware of what it is yet.

Not everyone's born again right away.

Not everyone gets to know JESUS right away.

Not everyone understands Scripture right way.

Not everyone gets saved right away.

Life is a process of finding out.


GOD keeps an eye on children who don't sell out.

Who keep at it, no matter the travails.

Who keep at it, no matter how long it takes.

Who can stand by their principles, no matter if they stood alone.

Do you have the courage to stand by what your parents taught you?

Even if the whole world ganged up on you?

And mocked your old-fashioned principles?


By the GRACE of GOD, I was such a person.

Predestined to belong to CHRIST.

He had a job for me to do.

All that struggle had a purpose.

By no means was it an easy task.

It was long, painful, and painstaking.

The process was not for the impatient.

It was not for those who desired shortcuts.

And yet, my life was quite an adventure, too!

An adventure in learning, and making the lessons stick.

With great potential to pass on all you've learned.


That's why my life was more polka-dotted than others' lives.

Where others seemed neat, and orderly, mine seemed chaotic.

Where others seemed "cut out", mine was largely "experimental".

Where others bought into the system, I simply couldn't.

Once you're in the "system", it will be hard to see outside of it.

You will be sucked into the system.


Many are not aware they've bought into it.

They go about it, thinking that's all there is to life.

Marriage, children, retirement.

Success, wealth, philanthropy.

Family, friends, feasts.

Youth, middle age, old age.

First home, big home, retirement home.

(And yes, tax deductions, and tax havens.)

What a limited existence that is.

As people eventually find out.


And yet, there's a part of you that feels there's more.

An inner knowing that refuses to be doused.

Why else have many gone into the boondocks?

Why else have many gone into other religions?

Why else have many gone into various practices, and such?

They're searching for something real.

For something authentic.

For something they can believe in.

For something they can live with.

For something they can give their life to.

Have you found it?


I've found mine, through CHRIST.

As born again.

As a true child of GOD.

As a faithful servant to the LORD.

As a person with no more excuses to sin.

This was the path I took:

John 14:6

King James Version

6 Jesus saith unto him, 

I am the way, the truth, and the life: 

no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


2 Corinthians 4:18

King James Version

18 While we look not at the things which are seen, 

but at the things which are not seen: 

for the things which are seen are temporal; 

but the things which are not seen are eternal.


Philippians 4:8

King James Version

8 Finally, brethren, 

whatsoever things are true, 

whatsoever things are honest, 

whatsoever things are just, 

whatsoever things are pure, 

whatsoever things are lovely, 

whatsoever things are of good report; 

if there be any virtue, 

and if there be any praise, 

think on these things.


Colossians 3:1-2

King James Version

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, 

seek those things which are above, 

where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2 Set your affection on things above, 

not on things on the earth.


James 1:27

King James Version

27 Pure religion and undefiled 

before God and the Father is this, 

To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, 

and to keep himself unspotted from the world.


JESUS is the answer to ALL my questions on AUTHENTICITY.

No one could be more AUTHENTIC.

Colossians 2:9

King James Version

9 For in him dwelleth 

all the fulness of the Godhead 

bodily.


Related material:

JESUS

GOD's GLORY blogs

BORN AGAIN classics