Thursday, September 3, 2020

The Door of the Sheep

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, 
Verily, verily, I say unto you, 
I am the door of the sheep.
John 10:7 
King James Version 


What did Jesus mean He was the "door of the sheep"?

In the previous article, one of the purposes of creating man was to be sheep of God's pasture.

That's an ancient verse from the psalms.

3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: 
it is he that hath made us, 
and not we ourselves; 
we are his people, 
and the sheep of his pasture.
Psalm 100:3 
King James Version 


Jesus is the "door" of the sheep.

9 I am the door: 
by me if any man enter in, 
he shall be saved, 
and shall go in and out, 
and find pasture.
John 10:9 
King James Version


No wonder, I dreamt of Jesus -- twice -- framed with GOLDEN Light, by the doorway.


And that Jesus was the "destination". 

I don't mind being called "sheep" for Jesus.

I follow Jesus alone.

I do so, with all my heart.

Sheep are followers.

They need someone to "herd" them.

The shepherd keeps them from the wolves.

And Jesus is the GOOD Shepherd.

11 I am the good shepherd: 
the good shepherd giveth his life 
for the sheep.
John 10:11 
King James Version


Jesus also knows His sheep, and vice-versa.

He knows who belongs to Him, and who doesn't.

He is the LORD Jesus, after all -- the Redeemer.

14 I am the good shepherd, 
and know my sheep, 
and am known of mine.
John 10:14 
King James Version


The sheep know their shepherd's voice.

They live for that shepherd's voice, and herding, without which, they'd be lost.

27 My sheep hear my voice, 
and I know them, 
and they follow me:
John 10:27 
King James Version


Why do I follow Jesus?

Because I love Him, and I trust Him completely.

My whole future hinges on this love, and belief.

But look at this parable how Jesus, the Good Shepherd, loves us -- every single one of us.

This was His answer to the Pharisees and scribes, who were critical of His teaching the sinners, and eating with them:

4 What man of you, 
having an hundred sheep, 
if he lose one of them, 
doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, 
and go after that which is lost, 
until he find it?
5 And when he hath found it, 
he layeth it on his shoulders, 
rejoicing.
6 And when he cometh home, 
he calleth together his friends and neighbours, 
saying unto them, 
Rejoice with me; 
for I have found my sheep which was lost.
7 I say unto you, 
that likewise joy shall be in heaven
over one sinner that repenteth, 
more than over ninety and nine just persons, 
which need no repentance.
Luke 15:4-7 
King James Version


Jesus also delivers a promise: 

28 And I give unto them eternal life; 
and they shall never perish, 
neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
John 10:28 
King James Version


And also a warning to the wolves:

29 My Father, 
which gave them me, 
is greater than all; 
and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
John 10:29 
King James Version


Jesus can make such powerful statements, for He is known and loved by the FATHER.


15 As the Father knoweth me, 
even so know I the Father: 
and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:15 
King James Version


Moreover, and more importantly, is the UNITY and ONENESS between the Father and Son.

30 I and my Father are one.
John 10:30 
King James Version


If that doesn't make you feel awe, delight, and fear, then I don't know what will.


Surely, you can feel its ancient POWER.

Rather, its ETERNAL Power.

But, who are the wolves?

Ah, that's easy.

All who are not OF CHRIST.


Additional resource on JESUS as the Shepherd:

(Bible verses from biblegateway.com)

Updated 19 February 2022